Dr. Anthony Fauci’s swift commitment to the WHO – whose response to the pandemic has been criticized by many, but perhaps most vocalized by the Trump administration – marks a dramatic and vocal shift toward a more cooperative approach to fighting the pandemic.
“I am honored to announce that the United States will remain a member of the World Health Organization,” Fauci said at a virtual WHO meeting in the United States, where it was 4:10 in Washington. It was the first public statement by a member of Biden’s administration to an international audience – and a sign of the new president’s priority to fight COVID-19 both at home and with global partners.
Just hours after Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday, he wrote a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Gutteres saying the United States had reversed the planned withdrawal from the WHO, which was expected to take effect in July.
The withdrawal from the WHO was rich in symbolism – another example of America’s go-it-alone strategy under Trump. But it also had practical ramifications: the US stopped funding for the UN health agency – removing money from the country that has long been its largest donor, even as the agency struggles with the health crisis that has killed more than 2 million people. in the whole world. The United States also withdrew staff from the organization.
Fauci said the Biden administration would resume “regular engagement” with WHO and “fulfill its financial obligations to the organization.”
The WHO chief and others jumped to greet the US announcements.
“This is a good day for WHO and a good day for global health,” said Tedros Director-General Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “The role of the United States, its role, its global role is very, very crucial.”
The two men hinted at a warm relationship, with Fauci calling Tedros “his dear friend” and Tedros referring to Fauci as “my brother Tony.”
The White House said Thursday that Vice President Kamala Harris discussed many of the same issues that Fauci raised in a call with Tedros.
But she stressed the need to strengthen the global response to COVID-19, “to mitigate its side impact, including on women and girls,” and to work to “prevent the next outbreak from becoming an epidemic or a pandemic.” The White House in a statement.
“In addition, the vice president stressed the importance of making America safer through global cooperation,” she added, stressing the new tone in Washington.
John Nkengasong, director of the African Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, called the renewed commitment “great news” in an email. “The world has always been a better place when the United States plays a leading role in addressing global health issues, including the fight against HIV / AIDS, malaria, polio and other diseases,” he said.
Danish Health Minister Magnus Heunicke wrote on Facebook: “This will have a huge impact on the world’s ability to fight the pandemic. It is crucial that the United States be involved as a driving force and not as a way out when a global catastrophe strikes. “
Fauci also said that Biden will issue a directive on Thursday showing the United States’ intention to join the COVAX Facility, a project to deploy COVID-19 vaccines to people in need around the world – either in rich or poor countries. .
Under Trump, the United States had been the highest profile – and the deepest in the pocket – of the COVAX Facility, which struggled to meet its goals of distributing millions of vaccines, both because of financial and logistical difficulties.
WHO and leaders in many developing countries have repeatedly expressed concern that poorer places may be the last to receive COVID-19 vaccines, while noting that leaving large areas of the global population unvaccinated. endangers everyone.
While promising US support, Fauci also highlighted some key challenges facing the WHO. He said the United States was committed to “transparency, including those events in the early days of the pandemic.”
One of the Trump administration’s biggest criticisms was that the WHO reacted too slowly to the outbreak in Wuhan, China, and was too accepting and too effusive about the Chinese government’s response. Others shared the criticism, but public health experts and many countries said that although the organization needed reform, it remained vital.
Referring to a WHO-led probe looking for the origins of the coronavirus by a team currently in China, Fauci said: “The international investigation should be solid and clear and we look forward to evaluating it.”
He said the US would work with WHO and partner countries to “strengthen and reform” the agency, without giving details.
At the White House later that day, Fauci told Jeff Zients, who is directing the national response to the coronavirus, “You can imagine the comments we received from the WHO.”
Then he added, in a stopped voice: “They were lining up to thank …”
———
Associated Press writers Cara Anna of Nairobi, Kenya; Jan M. Olsen of Copenhagen, Denmark and Zeke Miller of Washington contributed to this report.